Help!
 Voltage regulator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billmorrey

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2022 :  14:39:52  Show Profile  Visit billmorrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a great day out historic rallying yesterday, I've realised that I really do need to get to the bottom of why my fuel and temperature gauges are behaving oddly. Fuel reads full, but then goes down far too fast, reading empty when there is plenty of fuel in the tank. The temperature just reads very low.

I'm looking for the voltage regulator, but can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know where it should be?

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2022 :  10:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can be found behind the dashbord, it's shape is something like a flat little box and it has connections with both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

billmorrey

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  09:34:24  Show Profile  Visit billmorrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks - I've had the dashboard out, but no sign! Certainly not attached to the back of the dash . . . where does it usually live?
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  10:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should be about in the middle of the dashbord.
Just follow the green/yellow wire from fuel gauge and/or temp gauge. Both gauges are connected with a green/yellow wire to the voltage regulator. From the voltage regulator there is a green wire connected to a fuse in the fuse box. A brown wire is connceted from the voltage regulator to the temp gauge which is again connected via amp gauge and oil gauge with a brown wire to the fuel gauge.
Did you before not have a problem with both your fuel gauge and temp gauge? I ask this because I don't know how long ago you became the owner of the car.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Johndgriffiths

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2022 :  20:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill. If you have an earlier Series car I’m pretty sure they didn’t have a voltage regulator, my IIIA hasn’t. None shown in the manual wiring diagram either. I looked in to it some time ago and found some very detailed explanations on a US Alpine or Tiger forum. The gauges are different on the earlier cars to accommodate the variation in voltage resulting from having no instrument voltage regulator. The temperature sender is different too, but don’t know about the fuel sender. Hope this helps a little. John.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000