Fuel tank problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  13:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the tank out of the fastback at the moment and shining a light inside I can see (and feel), the inside is covered with bubbling paint that just flakes away if you rub it. Was thinking of putting some nuts and bolts along with some sharp gravel inside the tank and giving it a damned good rattle, then maybe rinsing it out with chemical.

Are there any sealants in there that could be attacked by the chemical or should I use water instead? Not sure I like putting water in TBH cos the metal is really shiny under the flaking paint and don't want to tarnish it.

Any ideas?

Tim

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

kevceroc32

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2017 :  23:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem a couple of years ago, bits of sealant came loose and blocked the fuel line resulting in being towed home by the RAC. After taking the tank out I used pea shingle to knock the worst of the sealant off the inside and then got a couple of cans of petrol to clean it all out with. I had to do it 3 or 4 times before it was clean though. It took a few hours to get everything off but i have not had a problem since
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2017 :  20:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, you can get fuel tank sealers, have a look online.

As for cleaning it out, Jon once mentioned attaching his tank to a cement mixer and putting some gravel inside to clean off the loose paint.

Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  10:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a couple of fuel tanks I've used "Slosh" sealer, after cleaning it with their cleaning liquid. Following the instructions closely, I never had problems. Just a little extra comment, be sure to blow into the tank pick up pipe with an air line to make sure it's clear when finally using sealer.

http://www.rust.co.uk/0002-slosh-ethanol-resistant-petrol-tank-seal/p405062

jim
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  09:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up guys. Spent a morning rattling some old wheel nuts and odd bolts around in the tank, (don't have a cement mixer handy), but I think I've got most if not all of it out.

Just waiting for the 'Slosh' to arrive and should be back on the car soon.

Cheers....

Tim

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  09:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you used their cleaner? I think it's mainly a caustic liquid to ensure all oily coating is gone. The preparation is paramount before sealing with "Slosh"

jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000