Corroding bolts.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  00:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any advice regarding any long bolts holding through alloy heads etc? Would it be advisable to grease them to stop any corrosion/reaction between the steel bolts and aluminium? If so is there a particular grease for best results?

jim

Tony Fearn

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  23:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jim.
I found this on the internet:-
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/311187-Aluminium-grease-or-copperslip
Tony.
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  23:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tony
It's a problem that I knew about when I had a sailing boat. Any fixings on to the mast (aluminium) were prone to corrosion as they were mostly steel or stainless. Stripping down my 1725 Rapier engine there was some reluctance to release the thermostat housing etc, as the metal had bonded to the bolts. re-assembling I'll try the Duralac. Never even heard of it but I'll research and find it.
I'll come back and report on my findings.

jim
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  10:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim (& Tony).
I would have said copper-slip, but I'll speak to my mechanic mate later today. He's been assembling heads so long he does it in his sleep: see what he recommends - I know getting studs out after 50 years is not easy or indeed sometimes not possible, so he always uses some stuff to make it easier for the next man .
PS: For Jim - not forgotten prop. must get up to you in the next few weeks. Cheers! Glen.
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  13:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Glen
As you know, no urgency, several spares waiting here. I've offered them to several on here, and heard no replies from them! Shame to put them on Ebay, I'd rather keep them within the club. Even personally delivering to our friend in Holland.

jim
Go to Top of Page

Tony Fearn

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  21:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimlagos
Even personally delivering to our friend in Holland.

A couple of my Jowett colleagues went up to Finland from Congleton in Cheshire,to help a Jowett Club member sort out his Jowett Javelin. They removed the engine, brought it home to the UK, fettled it and then went back to Finland to install it.
Tony.
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  11:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did not know that this becoming a sort of a contest, all I know is that I appreciated it very much that Jim took the trouble to visit me in the Netherlands and brought me Rapier spares for free!
I will never forget this gesture!

Best regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000