National
 2017 National Rally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

onefunkyman

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  08:51:33  Show Profile  Visit onefunkyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Venue;
Gatwick Aviation Museum
Charlwood
Surrey
RH6 0BT

Date;
July 28th - 30th 2017

Costs;
£5 per person, per day (includes full access to museum)
£10 per camping pitch, stay as long as you like.

Organiser;
David Atherton

Notes;
50th anniversary of the fastback, all rapiers and other Rootes invited. Evening entertainment, camping, and road runs.

Celeb;
Ian Black, the last ever lightning pilot has agreed to be our celebrity handing out prizes, his dad had a H120!

Aircraft;
English Electric Lightning F.53 (running)
Hawker Hunter T.7
Hawker Harrier GR.3
Gloster Meteor T.7
Hawker Sea Hawk Fb.6
Avro Shackleton Mk3 (running)
De-Havilland Sea Vixen
De-Havilland Venom Mk.1
Blackburn Buccaneer SR.1
Percival Sea Prince T.1

Link to museum web page;
http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/#

Link to Facebook advert;
https://www.facebook.com/events/157839514639853/

Edited by - onefunkyman on 05 Feb 2017 09:24:30

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  17:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a fantastic event over the weekend: the weather could have been kinder to us, especially for the campers who endured wind and rain on Friday and Saturday nights, but it didn't dampen their spirits!
Thanks to all who helped organise, especially Dave & Ron Atherton and the rest of their team; they put on a great event for us - thanks too to those who attended; it was great catching up with as many as possible and meeting new members. Sunday the weather stayed fair for us and 17 (18 with the convertible :-) ) Fastbacks were there and 12 Series cars. Just a few shots here of the event - as you will see, we were quite close to aircraft take-offs, but we got used to them after a few days. A memorable weekend - thanks again. G

The Marquees

The Saturday Line-up

There's one every minute!

On the Scenic Run

The Convertible!

The Sunday Line-Up

The Winners

Go to Top of Page

55ser1

22 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  00:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some nice photos Glen. It was nice to meet all the rapier clan again and I agree with you that Ron and Anne deserve a special thanks. Marian and I flew in on one of those planes and again out that evening. Looking over at the site during take off most of the rapiers had gone home-----great day---gives me the urge to finish one of the H120s
gerry
Go to Top of Page

onefunkyman

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  12:59:55  Show Profile  Visit onefunkyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A big thank you to all those who came to support me at my national, it was a first for me and i relied heavily on the help of mum and dad (Anne and Ron) I'm not sure i currently want to do another national as i'm still recovering, but ask me again in a few months and i'm sure my mind would be changed!

It was great to catch up with the crowd, and as i type this the books are being worked out, but it looks to have been a run-away success financially (thanks in part to Gatwick Aviation Museum who let us use their site for free!!)

Nice pictures Glen, sunday was the day for Sunbeams though, the weather was much better and a really good turn out of cars too. I think more would have come if the weather had been kinder!

There was a terrific speech by Professor Tony Stevens on the Sunday about his role in the design and development of the fastback Rapier, he gave me such a lovely hug after the national to thank me for inviting him and how proud he is that we all are so keen for his cars.

There were indeed 18 fastback, although 17.5 would be more accurate as my convertible fastback wasn't really a full car! I've no idea how i'm going to restore that yet, but once i've recovered from the national i'll buy myself several reels of welding wire. watch this space!

Thanks all for your kind support, if it were not for you i don't think we'd be able to do it!

Dave

Go to Top of Page

Sunbeam-mike

United Kingdom
164 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  13:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second all of the above.

I really enjoyed the weekend, despite the noise.

Prof. Stevens was good to his word. he sent me some pics of the first Rapier being assembled:

https://goo.gl/photos/53PWXLhA5qgzsRAR9

I really like the Mille Miglia car. Now that is a car with history.

Found this on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_Mille_Miglia

Mike

Mike Hooper
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  10:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those pictures are fantastic and for you Mike, to see your own car coming down the line it's amazing!

What a nice chap too, chief engine designer at 25 - incredible!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000