Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bodiam

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2018 :  15:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it has been topped up several times (at least 10) but after each top up (not overfilled) pushes coolant out of the overflow until at least the top tank is empty.

Should have mentioned, no sign of external leaks and rad has been recored - did a crude flow test with the bottom hose off and it does not seem to be blocked.

Cheers, John

John D
Go to Top of Page

pollystag

70 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2018 :  15:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mate,
Have you made sure it has all the air bled out of the system?
Steve.
Go to Top of Page

Bodiam

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2018 :  14:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I’m new to the world of Rapiers, having picked up my 1963 111A last Monday. I have a problem which I hope someone can guide me with.

As soon as the engine starts to warm up, it dumps water out of the overflow until the top radiator tank is empty. Topping up results in the same thing again after a few minutes. There is no water in the oil, nor oil in the water, nor is there any steam from the exhaust. It isn’t possible to see if there are any air bubbles in the top tank with the rad cap off as it gushes over the radiator neck as soon as the thermostat opens, it seems.

I have tried a NOS AC Delco 4lb cap in the hope it might be a simple cure, but no luck.

I’m thinking along the lines of a head gasket bleeding combustion gases into the water and over pressuring the system but would be very grateful for any guidance anyone can give me on this.

I will introduce myself properly as soon as I can!

Many thanks, John

John D
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000