71 Alpine fastback restoration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weld-em-up-scotty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  10:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I am new to the club and am carrying out a restoration on a 1971 Sunbeam Alpine Fastback. The original car I purchased (blue) yielded a useful source of spares but the body was very badly rusted. There were a good few bins full of rust when stripped down. I acquired a shell which is in much better condition, so the original car will be built into this.

It looks like a previous owner of the gold car had added many 'upgrades' including electric windows, rear wiper, improved under body water splash protection and a revised fascia with three stalks on the column. There is a moulding for a petrol filler cap on the drivers side as well as the standard passenger side one, anyone know what this might be for? It looks to be an original factory pressing on the wing.
Regards, Pete

Edited by - weld-em-up-scotty on 18 Feb 2020 17:49:42

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  10:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the restoration!

Would be interested to know how that extra filler cap came to be!
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2020 :  14:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting custom cockpit the previous owner put together there. I've spent a fair amount of time customising the outside of mine, but other than swapping out the crazy original seats for tombstones, I've not done a thing yet as far as the interior goes.

I like the leather bound steering wheel and moving the wash/wipe control to the column. Not sure about the dash itself though as I like the idea of having the pressure vents where Chrysler put them. I don't really feel that criticism of the original dash is justified really cos when you look at all the gauges you got for your money compared to what other manufacturers were offering for a similar priced car, there's no comparison.

If I have one criticism of the original layout it's that every switch is of a different type. You got rotary, toggle, push/pull and rocker switches. I mean did they really pay someone to go out with the instruction to find that motley collection of disparate switches?

Maybe it was the same guy they paid to design and install the windscreen wipers.

Keep us posted with the progress.

Tim

Edited by - arrocuda on 04 May 2020 14:28:39
Go to Top of Page

weld-em-up-scotty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  19:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, advantages in both dash layouts, although I'm taking it back to original.

Is it an alpine fastback you have Tim?

The restoration is moving on at a steady pace and I will put future posts on the restoration section of the forum. Getting the bodywork right is proving a challenge. The bonnet and whole nearside were paint stripped in the past by a heavy abrasive tool, leaving the metal surface very uneven. As a result I am skim filling and block sanding them. The whole engine bay has been stripped of old flaky top coat. I'm thinking cellulose top coat for the whole car as I it gives a more original finish. It should also save money compared to a professional 2k job.

Regards,
Pete

Peter Hainsworth
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2020 :  09:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gold one looks fairly sound and a decent base to start from Pete. Am I right to assume they are both Alpine's you've got there? Alpine's are much harder to find than Rapier's these days. Either way you should have no problem putting together a nice car from two of them.

Mine is/was a Rapier but I decided to fulfill one of my bucket list wishes, to build a custom car. I put some pics up on here that I was going to post a link to but I can't find them now. Here's a pic to give you the general idea.

It's a fairly mild custom by US standards but I like it. Definite improvement on the original so folks tell me, but maybe they are just being polite.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

weld-em-up-scotty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  22:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good looking customisation you have carried out there. Your mods to the rear body lines work well with the filled in rear windows. The H120 bootlid is needed as well I think.

My deviations from original will be limited to an overdrive box initially. The gold car was originally a rapier. I am having to rebuild it as an alpine, which the blue car was. The gold car was purchased as only the rolling shell, modified dash and glass. I have engine, exhaust, trim, complete loom etc all from alpine.

I've always liked these motors but never driven one so hope I enjoy driving it. My background in classics is Imps and a viva HB!

Peter Hainsworth
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  09:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boot lid was probably the toughest part, cutting up and fabricating one to fit using an H120 lid as a base was really the only option I had that had any chance of looking factory when it was done.

If you decide to go with the Rapier dash layout I've got spares of most if not all the plastics you would need to replace it with. I can't see me ever needing them having decided to leave the interior original.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  09:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gold bodyshell certainly looks pretty solid, so you should end up with a nice car at the end of it.

The dash in the gold car is definitely rapier, the alpine dash is flat across it's width. If the blue car didn't come with it's original dash, I don't know how easy it would be for you to find one.

In your position, I think I would be tempted to build a bit of a hybrid, with the twin carb engine.

What are you going to do about the o/s filler recess?
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  12:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that o/s filler cap. Did the guy actually have it connected up to the tank or was it just for show?

Would probably be a bad idea for me if it wasn't connected up to the tank. I probably wouldn't notice until I'd filled the whole of the boot with fuel.

Tim

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  16:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, there is "my restorations" section of the forum where you can post up your progress on this one
Go to Top of Page

weld-em-up-scotty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  22:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a brave move on that H120 bootlid and it has worked. Getting things to look right in that sense takes some skill. Fine line between getting it right and wrong.

The os filler recess has been cut out and a new plate welded in. There was no connection behind it and no second inlet on the tank. The car did come with a dusty set of twin strombergs, so I think they will be going on. I have an alpine dash from the blue car that is in good condition considering its age. Thanks for your offer Tim but I dont require any spare dash parts.

Next step is to apply some epoxy to the engine bay and tidy up the rear of the bodyshell. Got some rapier door cards, a black rapier front seat and good rapier rear seats if anyone is interested at no cost?

Next update will be in the restoration section.

Best regards,

Peter Hainsworth
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  08:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some seats that I don't need and will be donating them to the club spares fund at some point, you could always do the same?

Will you be fitting an o/d gearbox? Don't think the alpine had o/d but a rapier would have.
Go to Top of Page

weld-em-up-scotty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  14:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, donation of those parts to the club would be ideal. Is Glen Mason the best person to arrange this?

The alpine had a 4 speed non-overdrive in it originally. I want to keep the revs down when doing 60-65mph, so yes, an overdrive box will be fitted. As far as I know, it was an option on the alpine from 73. Luckily an overdrive box came with the other car but need to check it works!
Go to Top of Page

Commerlad

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  16:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use the OD box then you need to use the speedo from the same car else it will be off otherwise.

I'm trying to go for a period look boy racer with mine (Which is why I purchased the car I did, rather than maul an otherwise original car)

A Rapier but with the high back Tombstone seats from an Alpine, Period Cosmic Alloys (Were not going to be my first choice but it had them on) In the past a few items were chromed (Air box, Rocker Cover, Wiper Arm Grill so will keep). Also going in is an old stock 4 branch Tubular exhaust to the twin Stombergs, and before anyone says the Webber exhaust will not fit, It is not the Webber header it is a period aftermarket item that does fit the Stombergs. That with a newly rebuilt engine (All new parts except re bored block and a Holbay Head from my stock).

I will put some before and after shots up later.

Sometimes I think laterally, but then I have to get up!

Edited by - Commerlad on 19 May 2020 16:23:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000