General Chat
 Engine ID
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billmorrey

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  13:26:52  Show Profile  Visit billmorrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rummaging through the garage I've unearthed two engines that I'm trying to identify.

One is a 1600 that has been rebuilt 'lightened & balanced' and is, I think (having checked with Speedy Spares) from a IIIa originally. It came as part of the spares package with my car 304RYB, and I suspect was part of a project to return it to the 'correct' engine size in order to compete. Engine no. is B3056907, with HHO also stamped on the id block. Other markings are WMO22672-1, 21J, 1600 and 1980 707. If anyone can shed any light on what these mean I'd be grateful!

The second engine is a 1725 stamped B053000503 - this is quite uneven, as though each letter/number has been hand stamped. Other numbers are 1981100 BB, 2-3-68 (which I'm guessing is mfr date) and then a larger H and S at opposite ends of the o/s of the block. This one has a head on it, with a Holbay rocker cover, with the head having a neat circular logo in the casting comprising AM3, and a stamped number P7233. Again any help in deciphering this would be most appreciated. I beleive that a previous owner, Nick Smith, tried this engine with Webers, but found it too aggressive for historic rallying.

The current set up on RYB is a 1725 with twin SUs, which works very well.

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  14:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B3056906 is from a Rapier series IIIA while B053000503 concerns a Hillman Hunter.
HHO stands for Home delivery (H), Hardtop (H), Standard specification (H)

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Commerlad

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  22:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Head is a Holbay worked unit each was stamped with a serial number that began with a P. The combustion chamber shape is different to the normal type for a better burn. This would in Holbay format be used with twin webbers and a static advance distributor (No Vacuum tube to the carbs) Short of semi disassembly it is harder to work out if the engine has been rebuilt with a Holbay Camshaft for longer valve opening duration.

Sometimes I think laterally, but then I have to get up!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000