Help!
 Crankshaft Jaw Nut 1725cc Engine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  14:31:49  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, before I start giving myself a hernia, can I check that the Crankshaft Jaw (starting Handle) Nut, nestling in the Fan Belt Pulley is normal right hand thread, Nothing is mentioned in any of my Manuals regarding Left Hand Thread, but you would think L.H.T. would be more appropriate.
Although one book (the Haynes Manual) suggests that rather than use an open ended spanner, (good luck with that) some examples would allow the use of a Tommy Bar through the starting Handle jaws, but this would then have to be Left Hand Thread.

Deep Socket is on its way, hopefully I can check which way to turn it before it arrives..

1725cc Alpine engine (in Series 3 Rapier), 1-5/16" deep hex with starting handle jaws (hooks).

Thank you.

828CC

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  16:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a guy in Australia sells new ones (that's if the web search result is still current!) Might be worth an e-mail to him if all else fails..

https://www.sunbeamtalbot.info/aussiebob.htm
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  23:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the only way I could undo mine on a series V Rapier was to use an impact wrench. The type used by tyre fitters on compressed air, or the new re-chargeable "pistol type" It took some real impact effort. A friend of mine used stiltons and a lump hammer! A bit crude but seemed to work. Yes, it's a conventional right hand thread.

jim
Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  06:43:37  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. Yes I have ordered a deep impact socket. I may still have to decide on a way of locking the crankshaft. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  06:46:45  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And thank you for the website link. It’s also worth trying for some of the other items on there.
Go to Top of Page

828CC

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  08:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4th gear, handbrake on and chock the rear wheels.. Or remove the starter motor and wedge the starter ring gear..
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  10:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or remove the metal shield between engine and gearbox and then wedge the ring gear (much easier than removing the starter motor).

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  10:24:45  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, and Geweldig, dank je well.
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  12:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was lucky in that I didn't lock the engine, using a good impact driver was enough. It just "shocks" the thread and unscrews it. Good luck anyway!

jim
Go to Top of Page

828CC

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  13:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TBH I'm not overly familiar with air tools, but I would be wary of using any 'impact' driver on something that has shims and bearings further up the line...
Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  14:23:33  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I'm taking it all in. Once the big socket arrives, I will first try with my humungous breaker bar, and if that doesn't work I'll fire up the compressor and get the air tools out.
Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  07:45:09  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for everyones input. Once the 1 5/16" deep socket arrived, I attached my 800mm breaker bar, in 4th gear, wheels chocked, anti-clockwise force. Came undone quite easily. The positive power of the Forum. Excellent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000