Water temperature range of Instrument
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2019 :  08:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Rapier has water temperature of C - N - H Can anyone tell me what temperatures in degrees C each of these markings represent?

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2019 :  18:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no exact match between these letters and an actual temp in C° as it also depends on the make and model but for a standard car, I mean not a racing car, you have something like C=30, N =85 to 95 and full H above 100. If the engine is equipped with an expansion bottle on the cooling circuit C could be up to 100 and H above 120.
maybe someone else might have a better answer to your question.
Hope it will help you.
What car and engine are you asking for?
Go to Top of Page

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2019 :  06:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hillman, Thanks for your reply. This is on my 1725 Rapier Fastback. When I first got the car the temp gauge ran around the N mark. Then I changed to just an additive (Penrite Classic coolant) and de-mineralised water. This had the effect of having a very clean system and the temp now sat at halfway between C and N. I thought this was pretty good but have been told it should run hotter than indicated. I had purchased a new thermometer bulb so decided to replace the original one. Now the car ran at halfway between N and H?? Wrong thermo bulb? I have another new one which I shall install and determine if the gauge still reads over N. Then I guess I'll start on the thermostat. The car does have a "recovery" bottle in the system. Trial and error ??
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2019 :  07:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
this link provides good information about the 1725 engine and a way to test the thermostat that could be yourproblem.
http://wavelen.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=sunbeam:wsm145_rootes_light_car_range_1725cc.pdf

have a look at it
cheers
Go to Top of Page

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  04:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Changed the thermometer bulb this morning, went for a drive along the motorway and, guess what? the temperature sat on the N mark for the whole trip. So it looks like that has cured the problem of faulty readings and am most happy now. Thanks for your interest.
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  07:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news!
problem seams to be solved.
cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly