cheers
gilles
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2018 :  13:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gilles,

Just coming back from a 60km drive with my Rapier and have enjoyed both the very nice weather and the Rapier, marvellous cars indeed!
Looking at the dashbord I see now that the warning light although on the left side is not in the extreme corner it is on the same level as the warning light for main beam and indicators. But you are right it seems that the warning light for the overdrive is only installed on Rapiers series IV and IVa. The parts list is not all clear about this: where there is for instance talked about from series IV there is not mentioned that series V did not had this device.
So if you want such a light you have to drill a hole in the dashbord as you mentioned already.
My confusion about the place of this light (in the extreme corner) is caused by both the Alpine of my brother and the place on the dashbord of my Tiger in which I have installed a white warning light which tells me when the electrical fan is doing its job.
I should like to attach a picture of my dashbord to this email but I have no clue how to accomplish this.
If you are interested in a picture of the dashbord of my Rapier give me your email address and I send you some pictures.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2018 :  11:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,
Thank you for this very detailed reply.
Plate F seems to refer to serie 4.
I will check anyway on my car and if necessary I'll drill a hole for it.
I do not have ythe owner handbook for my serie 3 but will try to find one.
Thanks
cheers
Gilles
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2018 :  09:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the meantime I have checked the Rootes parts list for the series Rapiers (no 6601222) and in the section "Body Fittings Saloon, from Series III" the plug is shown on Plate F-Section YW (numbers 260/1 and 260/2). The plug itself has Rootes parts number P.49275 (plug button) and the retainer of this plug button has parts number P.49277. In the parts list this two parts numbers are covered under "blanking overdrive warning light".
If you have an owner's handbook for your series III Rapier you can check out the place of the warning light in the front of this book.
I have owner's handbooks for the series IV, IVa, V and for the fastback Rapiers. On this last two Rootes deleted the warning lights in order to save costs.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2018 :  18:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Peter. I will look carefully at it tomorrow and will let you know about the plug.
I will also try to find a white light.
thank you
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2018 :  18:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opal is a kind of white. On LHD cars, I own a LHD series IV with an original overdrive the light is on the extreme left side of the dashbord.There should be a plug, look carefully on the left side of the dashbord (above in the corner).

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2018 :  16:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both of you for these speedy replies.
I do not see the plug you mention on my car but beeing an LHD car this is possible. It was not originally equipped with an OD and maybe this option was not avail on export cars.
Anyway I will install a warninglight in the left side of the dashboard
in the area of the wiper switch. Could you tell me which color opal is? blue, red,green, white?
thank you
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2018 :  11:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the car was originally equipped with an overdrive the Rapiers series III, III A and IV should have an overdrive warning light with an opal colour. On a RHD car this light should be in the extreme right of the dashbord. If one this series cars did not have an overdrive fitted from the factory the hole in the dashbord was plugged of with a cap in the same colour as the dashbord.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2018 :  10:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My series 4 had one at the passenger end of the dashboard. My series 5 has no warning light. Not sure if either is standard.

jim
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2018 :  09:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all,
could one of you tell me if there is an overdrive warning light on a serie 3 dash?
if yes, colour? place?
thank you very much.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000