Annual M.O.T....?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2018 :  19:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Series V is April 1967 vintage. MOT is due in June this year. Am I correct in believing that it will be exempt from MOTs now?
Does anyone have an opinion whether we will need some proof of road worthiness? If an insurance company will expect something occasionally in case of a claim? I realise that the new MOT standards will hardly apply to older cars, but insurance companies can be awkward in "grey areas"

jim

Edited by - jimlagos on 06 Mar 2018 08:17:13

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  16:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho Ho - don't get me started .
Leaving that aside: my understanding is that from 20 May this year - rolling MOT & VED will apply to vehicles 40 years old or older. I presume it will follow the current 40 year rolling exemption from VED: thus it will be based on when the car was made rather than when registered & I think that currently, even if your vehicle was made in say January, you still have to wait until April to get the exemption and then get a VED refund from when the exemption date commences.
So basically all Rapier's will be exempt from VED & for the need from an MOT from 20 May 2018.
I think it is a bad move & had a 'run in' with 'Honest John' in the Telegraph about it: basically it ended with him saying that he was sure that Insurance Companies would probably insist on some sort of 'Roadworthyness Certificate' . Err, umm I thought that was an MOT . Happy days. G.
PS: I have not heard anything from my classic insurer as to what they are going to require; so at this time - nothing! G.
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2018 :  15:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few people have assured me that if I go ahead having mine MOTed this year, I will then have to MOT it every year thereafter!
I might even take the risky avenue of asking my insurance company?

jim
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  21:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not true on the first part Jim, as far as I am aware. There isn't anything stopping anyone taking their 40 year-old car in for an MOT post the 20th May, but it will no longer be against the law not to & even if you carried on taking your car each year; you could stop at any time.
It will be interesting to hear what your ins co. say if you do ask: from what I can tell, they have been very quiet about the new legislation, but then again you don't need to have an MOT or VED to insure a vehicle, so normally there is no need to ask. I wonder how pre-60 car owners have got on these last few years? G
Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  10:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry missed this one.
I'm afraid I don't own a Rapier (owned 2 in the past though). I have a 71 Karmann Ghia now.
It looks like all in the KG club are frightened to death at the prospect of not having an MOT and are sighting insurance hikes for those who don't get a unnecessary voluntarily MOT, with such arguments that 'I drive my children in my car' and if you have an accident then your insurance will be void and how do you prove that your car is roadworthy etc etc. Now my understanding of this is, all of this applies now and always has, An MOT is a check of a vehicle 'on the day' from that day on the vehicle can become unroadworthy, after-all everything has to fail at some point and wear is an ongoing process. An MOT is a standard to pass once a year. In the republic of Ireland it every 2 years, some places like the USA dont have them reasoning that even when trialed it has had no effect on accident rates.

From a point of law you are required to maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition - ongoing. so, everything that you fail your MOT on each year you have been driving with for upto 12 months, therefore, it has been proved at the time of the MOT that you have 'potentially' been breaking the law.

From my point of view it appears that you cant simplify things for the masses any more, why are people so scared of change?

Its a gift folks, take it.

An amusing, tonge-in-cheek summing up.
https://jalopnik.com/why-doesn-t-the-u-s-have-an-annual-car-safety-inspecti-1706254946

Edited by - Mooresy on 25 Apr 2018 22:13:01
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  19:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with my mot due in July, I'm looking forward to finding out what the crack is.

Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2018 :  19:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what the crack is -
My MOT on my Karmann expired on the 8th May, thought to myself, no point in renewing, jsut have to wait till the 20th May. My tax was renewed from the 1st May.
All the literature in Classic car mags and on Yougov were stating that you must fill in the amended form V112 to state your vehicle is exempt (cat R VHI - Vehicle of historic interest) as long as it does not fall into the 'modded' category). Now the keen eyed among you will see the issue here. My tax is not due for another 11.5 months. I dont need an MOT now by law, so how do I declare to vehicle. The DVLA said I dont have to do anything, the 'system' will know the age of my car and automatically exempt it from MOT, all I do is NEXT time the tax is due, fill in V112. They did however say that the MOT dept could confirm this, so I called them. They were confused and took some time to give me an answer. The answer was kind of the same, other than, they advised me to obtain a V112 at the soonest opportunity, fill it in, and keep it in my glove box should I get pulled over by the police. I could then explain the above to plod. And that's it. Thats what you do.
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  11:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my MOT has just expired, and I intend having it renewed at a much later date. I'll attempt to get this form from my post office, fill it in and see what transpires. Experience in the past, of civil service and change of regulations, has not been good. Let's see if some keen copper in a car with automatic number plate recognition camera, pulls me up.

jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000