Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  12:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to replace the hoses that connect the blower with the heather and the third one that goes into the interior of my Rapier series IV.
So far so good, but the problem is that after hours searching on the internet I still haven't succeeded in finding the right hose.
The innner diameter of the hoses is 3,25 inch (82,6 mm) and I need a lenght of about 1 metre. I prefer black flexible hoses.
Does anybody know of a supplier in the UK?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Peter

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  12:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
the french citroen 2cv uses the same sort of hoses.
I include a link to one of the sites where they are for sale.
The diameter is 80mm quite close to the one you mentionned.
I hope this will help.
Gilles
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  12:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the link:
http://www.tpv-2cv.fr/chauffage-gaines-et-cables/319-tuyau-devacuation-air-chaud-2cv
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  13:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hillman,

Thanks for your help!
Looking at this website I see that the lenght of the hose is 29 cm which is too short for at least one of the three hoses. The largest hose I need is 17 inch (43,2 cm).
I have seen here in the Netherlands hoses with a diameter of 80mm too, but I should realy like to obtain a hose with an intern diameter of 3,25 inch (82,6 mm).

By the way does anyone know what the function is of the tube which is situated at the inside of the left mudgard? The tube can be seen from the engine bay and is near the scuttle board and it looks like that an air hose can be connected to it. The parts list does not show an air hose, but I have a photo of an engine bay of a Rapier which shows an air hose connected to this tube. This hose is running along the inside of the mudgard to the front of the engine bay.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

oldcarnut

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2017 :  15:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, regards the 'strange tube' on the bulkhead area. Our Rapier has the tube on both sides, but only the right hand one has a hole into the car. The other one doubtless for left hand drive. This is for I assume a fresh air vent for the drivers sweaty feet!! The interior has a flap opened and closed by a knob on the switch panel.
If you have a look at our rally car under the restoration topics and peruse the pics you will see both sides of the vent, one in the engine bay (the other is behind the wiper motor) and one just above the throttle pedal on the interior photos. Ours is fastened shut to keep the river water out!! These vent pressings may be on the Minx cars but not used?
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  09:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Oldcarnut,

Thanks for your response. At first I thought the same as you, meaning there is a difference between LHD and RHD cars when it concerns the air duct system, but in reality there is no difference. In my LHD series IV the system with the hoses is on the right side in the engine bay just as it is with your very beautiful rally car.
So just like you my Rapier has the tubes on both sides.
So the mystery remains: why this extra tube on the left side in the engine bay when it is not used not even as a result of a difference in LHD and RHD cars. And why has a 1959 Rapier series III (Works and ex Peter Harper) from which photo's were shown in Popular Classics (may 1992) a hose connected to the (useless) tube in the left side of the engine bay?
By the way the Hillman Minxes use exactly the same sytem as the Series Rapiers.

Another matter: I am still looking for 1 meter air duct hose which I prefer to be black and flexible made of a sort of plastic which I have seen on many photo's of Rapier engine bays. Here in the Netherlands I am able to buy such a hose, but.....it is only delivered in a minumum of 10 meters which is a very costly case.
So do you know of a supplier in the Uk which can help me out on this one?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

oldcarnut

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  14:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, interesting info. Just got an old Minx in for repair, will have a look at the metal pipes!! Regards the black pipe. Going to a show next weekend with the Rapier. Will ask around the trade stands and let you know if anyone has anything shorter. Let you know.
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  18:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your help!
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  10:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a very similar problem. I've searched without success so far. I'd be very interested in finding a supplier too.

jim
Go to Top of Page

oldcarnut

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  15:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, nothing at the show traders with the hose. However, we use a company called "Car Builder Solutions" (.com) for a silicone spiral wound hose for brake cooling pipes on the race cars we build. Just happens they do a 3-1/4" 83mm id. hose in multiples of 1mtr. Red or black. Not cheap but top quality and it will certainly do the job. Part number is SDBK83 or just look for ducting. All kinds of useful stuff from this firm. Hope this helps, have a look and see what you think.
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2017 :  08:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just scanned your thread chaps. Will the plastic ducting used for the fresh air vents on the 'Arrow' range cars, work?
When I get the chance I'll have to measure diameter - it might be too narrow?
Also, yesterday met up with Forum Member Stella whilst here in France and her Series V has had replacement trunking, but not in black

Might be an option if you get totally stuck, but don't know where it was obtained.

Will let you know on the Fastback ducting. G.
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2017 :  11:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the information and I will wait til you report back regarding the comparision with the Arrow-cars.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2017 :  11:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
Our SouthWest LAO spotted the thread and asked me to post up this, which maybe a better solution?
"Wyrem ducting . It's black, looks authentic and name on one side only so can be turned over out of site. Available from Hose World 01890 752555. Web site Wyrem Flexible Ducting Ltd. Mine has been on nearly 20 years and is still good. "
Cheers. G.
Go to Top of Page

oldcarnut

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2017 :  17:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This red hose shown in the pic above is the same hose sold by the company I mention in my post above Car Builder Solutions. The hose they sell is either red or black and is 3-1/4" or 83mm ID which is correct for the Rapier.
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2017 :  21:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi oldcarnut,

Thanks for your help and I also have noticed that the red hose on the picture is the same as the one shown in the advertisement of the company you have pointed out to us. The reason why I have not bought a hose from them yet is that I hoped to find a real black hose and not one with the white "rings" as can be seen on the photo. So I hope that Glen has some good news on the Arrow hoses. If not then I will certainly buy the black hoses from Car Buikder Solotions.
So you can be certain that I appreciate your help very much. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2017 :  10:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

We bought the best quality hose and this was the colour it came in.

Obtained from Merlin Motorsport

Nice to meet Glen again.. shame he forgot to pack his Fastback
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000