Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Overdrivr

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
harley95 Posted - 30 Aug 2018 : 17:49:24
The overdrive is not working in my Mk4 Sunbeam rapier, Iv'e checked the wire's and swoped them round on the unit still no overdrive could it be the oil ? I have put Dynolite 30s gear oil in the box could it be to thick and i should be using Castrol 10/30s?

jbailey
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
1922 Posted - 18 Sep 2018 : 18:29:52
If it's the same as the later Hunter based cars you should get an audible click from a relay and from the solenoid on the side of the overdrive. If you don't get a click you have an electrical problem.

A favourite problem with mine for a while was that wires falling off the inhibitor switch on the gearbox - the one that stops overdrive being engaged unless in 3rd or 4th (I'm assuming Series 4 is similar).
bigt80 Posted - 30 Aug 2018 : 20:59:28
Wrong oil shouldn't stop it working all together. You should be using 20W/50 mineral based multi-grade. I've used in mine for 130,000 miles w/o any issues (Duckhams, but Halford's classic oil is an equvalent, but any 20/50 multigrade should be OK - the green stuff is just my preference).
Low oil level can prevent proper engagement - relay may have gone, or switch. I'd start by putting proper grade oil in box; filling to correct level and then see what happens.
You don't say if it was working and then suddenly stopped, or it is a new car for you on which the o/d has never worked.
There will be other more knowledgable than me, but that's the basic stuff covered. G

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000