Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Chat
 LHD Windscreen wipers.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
arrocuda Posted - 08 May 2018 : 20:25:23
Preparing my car for the annual visit to the local MOT station and whilst checking the wash/wipe I noticed the unwiped quadrant in the top right hand corner of the windscreen whilst I'm sat in the driver's seat.

After a moments pause I realised that the windscreen wipers are perhaps the only thing left on the car I haven't modded or messed with. On closer inspection it would appear that mine is an RHD fitted with LHD wipers.

I know build quality in the 70's was dodgy to say the least, but now I've noticed it I just know it's gonna bug me every time I switch them on in future.

Tim

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pruyter Posted - 10 May 2018 : 21:03:04
The strange thing is that while my daily transporter at the time a LHD 1968 Fastback Rapier had RHD wipers ( which means rest position of the wipers is at the left) all my other Rootes cars, a 1964 Hillman Minx series V, 1965 Hillman Super Minx series IV, 1966 Hillman Minx series VI and 1973 Sunbeam 1500 TC (Avenger) had all of them LHD wipers.
So Rootes wasn't very consistent regarding this issue...

Regards,

Peter
jimlagos Posted - 10 May 2018 : 14:02:29
The plot thickens! After that remark on the subject, I'd like to point out that my Rapier is the Series 5. I've just looked at a photo of a hatchback version, and must agree that the one I just found is certainly strange configuration of wipers! It does look as if the hatchback wipers are supposed to be on a left hand drive car, although the car is right hand drive. The series wipers on my car are really incorrect for either hand drive!!

jim
JPSH120 Posted - 10 May 2018 : 13:22:51
quote:
Originally posted by arrocuda

Are you suggesting it wasn't a shop floor 'incident' and was intended to be that way Jason?

Tim

Considering LHD fastbacks have RHD wipers I'm sticking with the odd sense of humour theory!
jimlagos Posted - 09 May 2018 : 15:21:48
Well, Gents. It made me go out and look at the wipers on my Rapier (RHD), My Fiat Ducato campervan (LHD) and Kia Venga (RHD)
The modern cars seem to have the spindle for the wiper arm in front of the driver and both spindles are therefore off centre. This means that the wiper blades clean right up into the top corner of the windscreen in front of the driver. The Rapier has the spindles equal spaced from the centre of the windscreen. This leaves a portion of windscreen uncleaned right in front of the driver, and passenger. I've driven the Rapier in rain and never noticed! Seems that the Rapier is wrong no matter whether designed for right or left hand drive. How strange. This weekend I'll be at Bidford on Avon Fair, so will look at other makes of classic cars, you lot have started something!

jim
pruyter Posted - 09 May 2018 : 15:02:43
My LHD series Rapier is original sold as a new car her in the Netherlands but...it has RHD wipers. About all the series Rapiers in the UK I have seen on pictures have....LHD wipers. When I discovered this I started to look to other cars and a lot of british made cars which are RHD still have LHD wipers. I have never understood this and I still don't. Apperently there was some consistent very strange thinking going on by Rootes and other marks.

Regards,

Peter
arrocuda Posted - 09 May 2018 : 13:13:44
Are you suggesting it wasn't a shop floor 'incident' and was intended to be that way Jason?

Tim

JPSH120 Posted - 08 May 2018 : 21:16:36
Tim, I couldn't agree more.

Someone in the design office clearly had an odd sense of humour!

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000