Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Testing Rev counter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tone Posted - 09 Nov 2019 : 19:55:35
Hi All, Should a rev counter work if you have it out of the dash, connect a wire from the + side of coil around the“ pulse”connection on the back of the Rev counter to battery+
Then another wire from battery + to spade on back of Rev counter?
Then start car! Or is there any other way of bench testing?
As you can probably tell I’m not an electrician! So any help would be gratefully received.
Cheers Tone.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pruyter Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 12:21:32
Not necessarely!
I have installed an electronic ignition (Optronic from Lumenition) in my Sunbeam Tiger which works with the original rev counter (RVI-type) without any problems.
But yes, in some cases, depending on the kind of electronic ignition, the rev counter will not work without doing some alterations to it.

Regards,

Peter
Panky Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 12:08:48
Just a thought. Have you fitted electronic ignition? I think the RV1 gauge will only work with points.
Tone Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 11:14:22
Thanks Peter, I shall go through it all again, i agree with you that perhaps the Rev counter is at fault, so I will have to find out someone who checks and repairs them, thanks again to all for your help.
Regards Tone.
pruyter Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 09:45:29
Okay Tone, I have had now some time to study this problem and it is like I informed you before:
From spade 2 on the ignition switch there is a white wire going to the bridge on the rev counter where this wire is bend in a loop over the upper part from the bridge and continues to the plus side of the coil.
From the same spade 2 on the ignition switch a white wire is going to the warning light of the ignition switch.
Finally a black wire is going from the rev counter to earth.
And that's it!
We know already that you have the appropiate rev counter (negative earth). If the rev counter is wired as described above than there are two checks to made which are:
Check that the black wire from the rev counter to earth is really making such a contact that earth is realized. Clean the contact between the wire and earth!
Secondly check that the contact between the underside of the bridge legs are making very good contact with the contact on the backside of the rev counter.
If this is all in good order the rev counter should work and if not.....well than I suspect that there is something wrong with the rev counter.

Regards,

Peter
pruyter Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:35:42
Right now I have no time, but I promise you that I will investigate this further tomorrow and then I will get back to you with the result of this.

Regards,

Peter
Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:29:31

Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:26:23
Funny I can only see a white/black wire coming off the negative side of the coil to the distributor, there is not another white wire going back to the Rev counter on my car or on the wiring diagram on page 61. Or am I going mad!
Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:18:54
I have got a paper manual! And as you say on page 61, it does show the rapier diagram, and my car seems to be wired up the same, with the pulse wire going to + on the coil and the - a white/ black wire to the distributor. It’s just that everyone tells me that the pulse wire should go to the - on the coil! When I put the wire onto the - side of the coil, and turned on the ignition the amp meter showed an instant discharge.
pruyter Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:11:01
At least the right rev counter is installed! Negative earth as it should be.
Did you made the checks as mentioned in my earlier post?
Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:09:16

pruyter Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:06:54
In WSM 145, section N (Electrical equipment) you can see on page 61 a wiring diagram for your Rapier series V.
Studying this diagram shows a white wire going from the contact switch to the rev counter and this wire continues as a white wire to the warning light. From the rev counter a white wire is going to the plus of the coil. From the negative side of the coil a white wiring is going to the rev counter to the same connection from where the white wire to the warning light is going. Finally a black wire is going from the rev counter to earth.
Please buy WSM 145 if you don't have done this already and when you already possess this WSM read it!

Regards,

Peter
Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:02:22

Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 15:00:12

Panky Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 14:58:44
This might help if your gauge is shown. I think the dotted line on the Smiths diagram means that wire is removed if reto-fitting the gauge

Tone Posted - 10 Nov 2019 : 14:58:07
Me again, sorry, I have included the wiring diagram and Rev counter ( RVI ) ? This is how the car is wired up.
There is a sticker on the back stating it’s den calibrated etc.
Does this make any sense?

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000