Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Information
 Rapier Serial Numbers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
abiefullard Posted - 13 Jul 2019 : 11:14:54
Does anybody have information on where the Rapier III and IIIA CKD assemblies were made and what serial numbers were used for those cars
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
828CC Posted - 18 Aug 2019 : 12:11:46
As an aside: Triang Hornby used to offer model railway engines and coaches in 'CKD' form back in the '60's, though not as an export wheeze I'd guess, more to satisfy the budding nascent engineers among it's customers :-)
hillman Posted - 18 Aug 2019 : 11:58:11
Thank you Panky, I definitely will die less stupid by now.
Cheers
Panky Posted - 18 Aug 2019 : 10:26:46
Completely Knocked Down, basically a crate containing all the parts to build a car. Loads of manufacturers exported kits to be assembled over seas, I think it was to get round the taxes on imported goods.
hillman Posted - 18 Aug 2019 : 10:06:20
Hi just to make sure I will die a bit less ignorant:
What is a CKD kit?
abiefullard Posted - 14 Jul 2019 : 06:38:48
Peter,

Unfortunately I do not know of any source for this information. Probably only in the countries where Rootes sent CKD kits to. I know that Rootes sent kits to Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa as early as the 1950's to adhere to the UK Government requirement to push exports. I have a Series III Rapier with a serial number of B30806000 and a Series IIIA with a serial number of B30905100.
UK built Rapiers start with B300 for Series III and B305 for Series IIIA
pruyter Posted - 13 Jul 2019 : 17:30:53
As a Tiger owner I know about the SA Tigers, but the information about the Rapiers strikes me, because this kind of information is always presented ( as I assume) on one of the first pages of the Parts List, so I checked this and found nothing about the earlier Rapiers when it regards CKD kits with exception of the Rapiers series IV and V.
One is never to old to learn and I should appreciate it if you could tell me where this kind information can be found.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Peter
abiefullard Posted - 13 Jul 2019 : 15:54:58
That is not correct, in South Africa the Series III and IIIA were assembled from CKD kits (As well as 73 Sunbeam Tigers)
The South Africa Serial numbers for Series III were B308xxxx and for Series IIIA B309xxxxx
pruyter Posted - 13 Jul 2019 : 12:06:30
Yes I know......the answer is: there were never CKD kits for the earlier Rapiers.The supply of CKD kits started with the series IV and ended with the series V.

Regards,

Peter

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000