Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Cars
 1922 Rapiers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1922 Posted - 23 Aug 2010 : 19:49:45
Here's my Rapier. Bought it in 1986 and had it ever since apart from three or four years while a good friend of mine owned it (but that's another story).
Under bonnet is an 1840 Holbay Marathon guesstimated at 130bhp. It has lowered suspension (one inch) with spax shocks all round, wheels are 7x15 TSW alloys with 195x50x50 tyres. Pretty much every mechanical part has been replaced during the 17 or so years that I drove it as my every day car.

At the SROC National (possibly 2001):

At home - around 2002 (I think):

Again in 2006 - not looking so good now. Mechanically perfect but suffering rust in sills and front panel.

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pollystag Posted - 21 Apr 2019 : 20:16:07
I'm new here so are there any updates on this car? it should be out and about by now.
Fastback Thomas Posted - 04 Oct 2011 : 15:46:40
Looks like you've got enough to do then...
Kind of have the same problem... Only thing is we do have enough space... Which means we end up having 3 cars apart and not knowing what to do first...

That's why I haven't done anything to my fastback since last day of august...

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Fastback Thomas Posted - 03 Oct 2011 : 21:03:41
A good resto thread is always nice to follow!
What's the status of the blue one?
What has to be done to it?

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
argonaut Posted - 03 Oct 2011 : 20:23:20
Good to hear Jon, please keep us informed of your progress, I always enjoy a good restoration thread. Good luck :-)
Jon Posted - 02 Oct 2011 : 22:24:45
Jon Posted - 02 Oct 2011 : 21:19:51
Dont worry shes in safe hands
Picked a few panels up today for her. Got to go and see about a few more bits in a few weeks to

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
argonaut Posted - 01 Oct 2011 : 20:12:39
I have many fond memories of going out in that car and I too hope to see it again someday.
Jon Posted - 25 Aug 2010 : 16:46:31
Thottle bodies all the way They aint cheap though bet your looking around a grand just for a basic set up, and then there is all the set up money
I recon you will have a nice little engine set up there with a very good power output.
Now all you got to do is get it done

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavn Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
1922 Posted - 25 Aug 2010 : 13:36:31
Yup - throttle bodies on the weber manifold - probably Jenvey. I might retain the H120 filter box and double-handled-saucepan type air-filter.

I live quite close (45 miles) to Emerald 3D (http://www.emeraldm3d.com) so the plan is to get it running on the webers and then drive to Emerald3d and give them money.

They have done a few conversions of old british stuff to fuel injection so this seemed like the best plan. They appear to know what they are doing, and while I understand the principles of fuel injection I've got zero experience.

Jon Posted - 25 Aug 2010 : 09:55:57
What management system you going to be running then if your using injection over carb?
Are you using throttle bodies on the webber manifold?

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
1922 Posted - 24 Aug 2010 : 21:42:17
Hi Jon,
I'm leaving the engine in bits until the Rapier is roadworthy. I'm keeping it in the dry (next to the TV!) and if I build it I'll never be able to lift it out of the house .

I've got a full race cam, that's full race for a 1725, but for a 1922 it should work well as a fast road cam. Coltec guesstimated 150-160bhp with fuel injection (if I don't run out of money!). That makes it about the 10-20bhp more powerful than my Vectra, even with the fuel injection gubbins the Rapier will be 350 kilos lighter, so it should be fun. When the fuel injection is done it will be set up on the dyno - so I'll find out what the power output really is.

The engine uses a Holbay race cam, Avenger pistons, a modified big-valve head and a new inlet manifold (very similar to a normal Holbay but larger diameter and thicker to allow the injectors to be fitted), and lightened flywheel.

Jon Posted - 24 Aug 2010 : 14:37:54
Have you built that engine up now?
What power will that put out as its something very special

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page