Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Restorations
 Hunter GLS II - Double Trouble

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HunterGLS Posted - 04 May 2013 : 22:01:16
I wasn't looking for another but I was contacted last week by someone who replied to a wanted ad I had forgotten to remove. It turned out the car was only 30 minutes up the road so I went for a look, and ended up buying it.

It's a 1974 with 38,000 on the clock and two owners. It is currently "Sundance Yellow" but according to the chassis plate it was originally "Sunflower Yellow"

It runs and drives surprisingly well considering it has been AWOL since 1999 and everything seems to work. It also has overdrive which my 1972 GLS does not.

I think it looks fantastic with the black vinyl roof and black interior.

As with any 39 year old car it is not without issues. I haven't done too much poking around yet but I am expecting to find some nasty surprises as the body does look a little "wobbed up" in places and it has had several coats of paint. I had a quick look underneath the rear and the spring hangers are toast, I decided not to go any further forward tonight!

At the moment the plan is to restore both cars to a high standard and sell one, it won't be an easy choice

1972 Hillman Hunter GLS
1973 NSU Ro 80
1974 Fiat 130 Coupe
1973 Audi 100 GL
1979 Audi 100 Avant
1981 Audi 200 5T
1982 Audi 100 CS
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spd82 Posted - 24 Jun 2015 : 13:59:31
Well would be interested in buying the hillman hunter if it is still for sale will offer good money ring me asap ask for sean on 07927399332
turbinecol Posted - 09 May 2013 : 21:21:31
Nice find indeed- another early one with thin bumpers AND overriders. The later cars with the wide bumpers (75MY+ I think) do not look so good when you have 4 headlamps. The vinyl roof makes the car look very Sceptre-ish but it was a factory option. You should stop the work on the one with the dodgy beige interior and move it on!

Mind you, your giant garage suggests you have plenty of room for more rusty tat from Rootes and VAG! Enjoy it!!!
janmarine3 Posted - 08 May 2013 : 10:30:27
Nice vehicle ! My ser 3 is yellow as well, cool for any Sunbeam I think, not sure what the colour is called on mine. Funny how the colours differ in your pics , different light I guess.
arrocuda Posted - 07 May 2013 : 13:29:44
quote:
Originally posted by bigt80

Also, I have Audi with 180BHP TSR engine that I'm going to have to let go. Was in my 2.3 Coupe GT, and tried to install in 80CD, but having to throw in towel on that. Will put it on Classic Audi soon as a project. G.

Short of buying another car I can't afford to take the Audi off the road at the moment and I've set my stall out to get back to completing the Rapier project. Really I need to get the Rapier on the road ASAP so I have at least one car that's available if needed.

Also, TBH I was thinking of doing away with the Audi 5 pot altogether. They obviously didn't have it in mind when they designed the car, but you never know, if we turn it on its side and stick the radiator over here along side the block, and put a slopey grille on the front we might just get away with it.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
bigt80 Posted - 06 May 2013 : 01:02:57
Well, I'll try and help on the spares front. Even though I resigned, I can't see an enthusiast struggling to find parts, so let me know what you want & on my next visit to the stores; I'll see what I can do! Cheers. G.

Also, I have Audi with 180BHP TSR engine that I'm going to have to let go. Was in my 2.3 Coupe GT, and tried to install in 80CD, but having to throw in towel on that. Will put it on Classic Audi soon as a project. G.
HunterGLS Posted - 05 May 2013 : 11:18:47
This car is a slight favorite at the moment. It has overdrive and the black vinyl roof with black interior looks great. I am in two minds about returning it to Sunflower

The only downside is I have to find (and buy!)twice the amount of hard to find parts. I have a large order to place one the club spares situation is sorted out.
arrocuda Posted - 05 May 2013 : 10:01:48
Nice car.... I wasn't aware that they continued production of the GLS into the facelift model. Certainly don't remember ever seeing one so is probably rarer than the earlier model. I've also got a B2 that I'm using as a daily right now. Least ways I think it's a B2... only it's the GT coupe model.

Had been in the garage for a while cos it needed a fair amount of welding doing underneath but was too good to break. Decided to get it sorted over the winter so as to reduce the number of cars I have in storage. I bought it cos it's FWD and has a longitudinal engine layout so I thought it could be a practical car for a classic daily. Already thinking of swapping the engine out for something a little more interesting, but really need to get back to my Rapier project so will probably have to leave it in for now. Vorsprung durch scheisse!

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
bigt80 Posted - 05 May 2013 : 09:19:27
Well it looks the part: they suited the bright colours of the day IMHO.

Hope you don't find too much rot, but like you say it is best to be pessimistic.

I find I'm drawn to low mileage cars `with only a couple of owners, but they're not always the best in practice. When the time comes, I think it will be best to keep the one that is the straightest and least molested, but I'm sure it will still be a difficult descision. Look forward to hearing progress. G
PS: Nice 200 alongside! (He says being the owner of several B2 80's )

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000