Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Introduce yourself
 Looking Backwards And Forwards

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
828CC Posted - 10 Aug 2019 : 12:30:11
Morning All... New member here sharing a few memories and aspirations.
Now over 60, I think it says something that the only car I have photos of in my 45 odd years driving experience are these:

First thing you'll notice is photography wasn't my forte, but these pics from the early 80's show my first motoring P and J (there were previous cars, but mere 'transport') bought on a whim during a day out to Bournemouth, I even had it delivered!
You might notice the SROC badge, worn with pride, and the webasto roof, rescued from a Triumph in the local scrapyard then fitted on the cheap by the local bargain basement paint shop. It was great when immobile, but did a wonderful job emptying the ashtray at anything above walking pace!
You may even notice the shine, never was a car I owned (before or since)polished so relentlessly... Full job of course, wash, T-cut and wax, none of those new fangled silicon polymers... US 'soft' wax only, but what a shine!
You won't, however, notice the: 'Half race' (allegedly!) Hillman Hunter engine, replete with twin 40 d'ellorto carbs, under the bonnet. Bought from a private ad in C&CC whether it was genuine or not I neither knew or cared (the folly of youth!), it looked the part and went well.... 'nuff said!! It also sported the Sparkrite 'piggy back' electronic ignition, did they make a difference? Apart from the handy static timing light, when switching from 'Electronic' to 'Normal' didn't seem to make much difference..
Sadly tin worm was the downfall, as an every day driver in all weathers and no garage the inner wings and sills finally laid her to rest... RIP HPR725F
Which brings me to today.... I'll soon be reaching the time where: 'Too and from a regular place of work' will no longer be an insurance pre-requisite, and there's a 'classic car' sized hole in the garage next to the motorcycle. So, it's a Series V I'm seeking eventually. I have been keeping an eye out so do have a reasonable handle on what's out there and for how much, alas colour IS important to me (I just don't think Red suits it.. sorry) and roll cages and bucket seats aren't my 'thing' either. 'Originality?' As long as it looks the part, what's beneath the hood isn't overly important (no rust, mind!) There was a Series IV local to me 'back in the day', dark green with Alpine wires, that looked the business. White piping on the upholstery too, was that an option? So please wish me well in my quest, and perhaps we'll talk one day...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Panky Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 16:59:18
There she is
Nice looking car
828CC Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 14:44:28
Success!! Alas. re: Engine numbers etc. no records of, I'm afraid. Back in the day such things were of secondary importance (if that!) as witnessed by the gay abandon in which I threw a Hunter engine in there! Mind you, did visit a guy to buy a new boot plinth who'd cut the roof of his Series V : 'in a fit of pique'
828CC Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 14:35:31
If at first... etc.. etc.. File sizes are 203 and 210KB, sizes are: 1312x1032 and 1336x1032

bigt80 Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 12:28:55
Hello 828CC,
Welcome to the Forum & the SROC. I see you have sorted out access to the Forum, but obviously an issue with the upload of photos. They need to be compressed to some degree, so if image over a megabyte, then that might give problems. Do you want to give it another go? It would be good to see the photos.
No trace of HPR 725F on our records, only HPA 725K; We'll add it to the database as a long-lost to the 'scrappy' one. There are a few of these already!
That sounds quite an early one: do you have any more details about it? Chassis/Engine/Body number?
All the best. G.
828CC Posted - 10 Aug 2019 : 15:54:56
Thank you... Not sure where the error occurred, photos were scanned and uploaded as JPEG files which I assumed were pretty universally accepted, though it's possible that file size was an issue?
What you missed was a Lagoon Blue Series V, occupying ALL of one shot, and the top third of another :-)
My mates were all into Mk2 Consuls/Zodiacs at the time, but I thought Fords were a bit 'agricultural?' The Rapier for me had 'style'
And was a colour ever more appropriately named? When properly prepared and polished it had a depth that was almost three dimensional, it did seem as if you could plunge your hand in...
Panky Posted - 10 Aug 2019 : 14:25:29
Hi and welcome
Sounds like quite a car, unfortunately the pictures haven't turned out. I don't think your photography skills are that bad

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000